Friday, June 17, 2016

Ikiru

Directed by: Akira Kurosawa

Written by: Akira Kurosawa, Shinobu Hashimoto, Hideo Oguni










Making my way down Roger Ebert's "Great Movies" list, I arrive at #2 - Kurosawa's Ikiru.

I can't say this is my introduction to Kurosawa's work, but it's the first one I watched with intention and attention. Ikiru rewarded my efforts.

The plot of the movie is simple: A man learns that he is dying and decides he wants to have an impact of some kind. The next few days he wastes trying different avenues of life, but realizes that he can do one good thing - help build a playground. The story may be a distant cousin of A Christmas Carol.

Ikiru starts off slow, but pays off. The narrative is almost episodic, but ties itself together well.

I get the feeling that this is the type of movie that should be re-visited at different points in life. That my feelings and my approach on it now may be different than they will be ten, twenty, thirty years from now.

(This review is scattered. In all honesty, I watched his movie maybe ten months ago and, normally, I wouldn't bother writing anything about it, but I'm trying to be a completist about this "Great Movies" business, so I wanted to get something official posted.)

No comments:

Post a Comment